USAFL Coaches Code of Conduct
USAFL Coaches will be required to agree to the following code of conduct on registereing with the USAFL:
In representing myself in an honest manner, and without bringing the coaching profession or the Game into disrepute, I will endeavor to uphold the following to the best of my ability:
- I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals within the context of my involvement in Australian Football, by refraining from any discriminatory practices including, but not limited to, discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, ethnic background, special ability/disability or sexual orientation, preference or identity.
- I will abide by and teach the USAFL Laws of the Game and the Rules of my Club.
- I will be reasonable in the demands I make on the time commitments of the players in my care, having due consideration for their health and wellbeing.
- I will be supportive at all times and I will refrain from any form of personal or physical abuse or unnecessary physical contact with the players in my care.
- I will have due consideration for varying maturity and ability levels of my players when designing practice schedules, practice activities and involvement in competition.
- Where I am responsible for players in the 5-18-year-old age group, I will strive to ensure that all players gain equal playing time. I will avoid overplaying the talented players, aiming to maximize participation, learning and enjoyment for all players regardless of ability.
- I will stress and monitor safety always.
- In recognizing the significance of injury and sickness, I will seek and follow the physician’s advice concerning the return of injured or ill players to training.
- I will endeavor to keep informed regarding sound principles of coaching and skill development, and of factors relating to the welfare of my players.
- I will at all times display and teach appropriate sporting behavior, ensuring that players understand and practice fair play.
- I will display and foster respect for umpires, opponents, coaches, administrators, other officials, parents and spectators.
- I will ensure that players are involved in a positive environment where skill-learning and development are priorities and not overshadowed by a desire to win.
- I reject the use of performance-enhancing substances in sport and will abide by the guidelines set forth in the AFL Anti Doping and Illicit Drugs policies.
I acknowledge that the USAFL, may take disciplinary action against me if I breach the code of conduct. I understand that the USAFL, is required to implement a complaints-handling procedure in accordance with the principles of natural justice, in the event of an allegation against me.
I acknowledge that disciplinary action against me may include de-registration from the USAFL.